Urban Student Teachers Advanced Residency (USTAR)
USTAR provides TAMU clinical teachers a year-long clinical residency to assist candidates in developing the cultural and classroom expertise to become successful educators in urban schools. Candidates will be offered a teaching position upon successful completion of the residency in Spring ISD.
How Does USTAR Work?
Summer 2017 – Preparation for School Year
- Option for paid summer school teaching in Spring ISD.
- USTAR candidates will apply for an opportunity to work as a substitute teacher and tutor during the 2017-18 academic year.
- Take part in Spring ISD’s Summer Institute to prepare for the upcoming academic year with cooperating teachers.
Fall 2017 – Senior Methods
- Candidates will follow Spring ISD’s calendar, rather than TAMU’s calendar.
- USTAR candidates will spend 4 days a week in Spring ISD and attend classes on TAMU campus once a week.
- Candidates will be required to come to campus for senior methods courses on Thursdays.
- Candidates will enroll in Teaching in Urban Schools and Communities Course (Course offered after school in Spring ISD; taught by a TAMU Urban Education faculty member).
- On select Fridays, candidates will be required to attend advising and TAMU sponsored workshops.
- Senior Methods Handbook
Spring 2018 - Clinical Teaching
- Clinical teaching in Spring ISD.
- USTAR candidates must meet the same professional and teaching standards as all TAMU clinical teachers.
- After clinical teaching, students can substitute teach or accept other employment options in Spring ISD.
- Upon successful completion of USTAR, Spring ISD will present contract options, which now start at $51,500 base for the 2017-2018 academic year.
- Clinical Teaching Handbook
- Junior II EC-6 only.
- No growth plan in Junior II year.
- No dual enrollment in 4 plus 1 program.
- Must have passed Content Exam by April 30, 2017.
- Pass junior methods courses, with no grade lower than C in an upper-level course.
Inside USTAR 2016
Please contact us with any questions about the program.
How to Apply for USTAR 2017
- Fall 2016 applications open Monday, November 7th and close Friday, December 16th, 2016.
- Fall acceptance letters will be sent January 2nd, 2017.
- Spring 2017 applications open Monday, January 2nd and close Monday, January 27th, 2017.
- Spring acceptance letters will be sent February 17th, 2017.
- Before accepted students are allowed to sign a USTAR contract, they must pass the Core Subjects Content Exam by April 30th, 2017.