Field Experiences Office
The TLAC Field Experiences Office is responsible for administering and organizing field placements for certifications including:
- EC–6 Generalist
- Middle Grades 4–8 Math/Science
- Middle Grades 4–8 Language Arts/Social Studies
- Middle Grades 4–8 English
- Secondary 7–12
Students complete a consecutive series of methods blocks in diverse settings as part of their degree plan, before completing their clinical teaching experience the final semester before graduation. All field placement students are required to have liability insurance and complete a district background check.
By starting with some of the best students in Texas and adding an outstanding team of Texas A&M faculty plus the support of excellent mentors in the Brazos Valley, we know we can Always Expect More of Aggie Teachers.
The TLAC Field Experiences Office also organizes the TAMU Education Career Fair. We welcome you to LIKE us on Facebook, where recruiting entities connect with current and former student teachers, job opportunities are posted and semester news is shared.
- 5 full days/week
- 70 day placement
- For handbook and more information, please visit mycehd.tamu.edu/tlac-clinical-teaching/.
Clinical Teaching Placement Policies
Effective Fall of 2012, the Department of Teaching, Learning and Culture implemented several changes to the field experiences for our students. These changes are in response to conversations with the Chancellors of the Texas A&M University System and our College, as well as state requirements and feedback from faculty and local school district personnel.
Current policies for field placements in the Department of Teaching, Learning and Culture are as follows:
- TLAC places local clinical teachers in outlying districts within 35 miles of the TAMU campus first. This guarantees clinical teachers will have a sustained experience working with diverse groups of students, which will in turn increase their marketability.
- Clinical teachers may not be placed on a campus where an immediate relative is an employee or student.
- Clinical teachers may not be placed in a district where an immediate relative is a district-level administrator with direct supervision of principals and/or teachers.
- TLAC clinical teachers must be placed in districts/on campuses in good standing with TEA (accountability rating A-D).
Interested clinical teachers will have an opportunity to receive more details in requesting a new district not listed online (Current Partnering School Districts):
- District must be more than 35 miles from any current partnering district.
- District must sign a one-year agreement and be willing to host any interested TLAC clinical teacher.
- A TEA qualified supervisor must be hired and trained within the timeline set by the Field Experiences Office.