B.S. in Education: Certification in EC-6 Core Subjects / Generalist
The Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Education with a certification in EC-Grade 6 Core Subjects/Generalist program is for students seeking a Texas teacher certification in elementary school classrooms. It is a heavily field-based program, with students spending extensive time in early childhood and elementary classes. Students receive a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Education through a series of field-based programs and classroom work with the completion of 122-124 credit hours.
Undergraduate students are required to follow and maintain all student responsibilities in order to remain in the program.
Freshman, change of major and transfer students should follow all Texas A&M University and department admissions policies. View Texas A&M Undergraduate Admissions for full information.
Students must apply and be admitted into the upper level Teacher Education program before beginning the certification program.
Note: Applicants are reviewed by committee and admitted on a competitive basis. Meeting the minimum requirements listed does not guarantee admission.How to apply
Once admitted into the upper level Teacher Education program, students complete a series of field experiences. The Certification Process Flow chart outlines the steps required to complete the program.
The Field Experiences Office is responsible for administering and organizing field placements. Students complete a consecutive series of methods blocks as part of their degree plan, before completing their clinical teaching experience the final semester before graduation.Visit the Field Experiences Office
- While in TLAC, students have access to a variety of academic and social services to ensure they are able to perform at their best. View the student services page to see the opportunities available to students.
- Each spring and fall semester, the TLAC Field Experiences Office coordinates the Education Career Fair to connect students with potential employers.
- If you have any questions, call the Undergraduate Advising Office at 979-862-4345 or visit the 1st floor in Harrington Tower.
- Current TAMU students need to log into their HOWDY portal and use the NAVIGATE icon to make an advising appointment, or download the NAVIGATE phone app. The system only allows students to schedule an appointment 14 days in advance.
- Prospective students should email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 979-862-1795.
Learn more about the process of becoming a certified teacher in Texas.
Degree Type: Bachelor of Science, Education (EDUC)
Program Delivery: Traditional
Program Hours: 125
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the typical program costs?
The following website can help you estimate the cost of the program, including current costs of tuition and fees: Click here for the cost of attendance estimator
Please note, you must update the program hours.
How soon can I apply?
Prospective students are encouraged to apply as soon as possible!
I live out of state. Do you accept out-of-state applicants?
Yes, we accept in-state and out-of-state applicants.