Quick Admit Applicants: Current Aggies graduating in spring or summer of 2020 are eligible to apply for the TLAC Quick Admissions process. Each program area will have unique essay question(s) that will need to be uploaded to the application and can be found on the program area’s web page. Please find the necessary Quick Admit essay questions in the drop down box below.
The STEM emphasis is a cohort program with a fall start only.
- Provide a statement describing how this program and specific area of emphasis meets the objectives of your educational and professional career.
- Successful applicants to this program come with a set of professional and educational experiences that “set the stage” for learning. OUR GOAL is that your learning in the certificate program will advance your own career goals and will contribute to the learning of your students and to peer faculty members at your school. Describe your professional and educational expertise that you bring with you to the STEM Certificate at Texas A&M University and your goals that you will have achieved when you are finished. Following APA formatting guidelines, construct a response of at least 500 words, and upload your response here.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction with Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) emphasis program develops and applies STEM knowledge for practice in two domains: research-based best practices and practical application and leadership skills. Research-based content themes and theory are integrated with practice with emphasis on application of knowledge base. Students who complete the program will graduate with an M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction.
To be admitted to this graduate program, you must apply to the TLAC department and Texas A&M University. The application deadline for the M.Ed. online program with STEM emphasis is March 1, each year.
Essay topics are included below for your planning purposes; however, final submissions must be included in the Applicant Information System (AIS) as one document to be considered. Emailed or mailed essays will not be accepted. You will also need to submit your vita, which includes your education, job experience, and any professional presentations, publications, grants, professional certifications/licenses held and participation in professional organizations. Essays must be written with appropriate APA formatting and citations.
- Successful applicants to this program indicate a reason matched to a need for earning this professional certificate. Explain your views regarding the match you see between your reason for wanting to earn your STEM Certificate and the need for earning one. (1000 word limit)
- Successful applicants to this program come with a set of professional and educational experiences that “set the stage” for learning. OUR GOAL is that your learning in the certificate program will advance your own career goals and will contribute to the learning of your students and to peer faculty members at your school. Describe your professional and educational expertise that you bring with you to the STEM Certificate at Texas A&M University and your goals that you will have achieved when you are finished. (1000 word limit)
- In dealing with humans we all experience time commitment issues and barriers we need to recognize, plan for and address. Describe your barriers to participating in a certificate program where you will participate in two graduate level courses during the first summer and two courses during the falls semester and how you will overcome each. (1000 word limit)
Curricular leadership in educational institutions or related organizations (e.g., educational specialist in a STEM Field, curriculum director, dean of instruction, STEM supervisor).
M.ED. DEGREE OBJECTIVE
Preparation of professional leaders competent in identifying and solving complex curriculum problems in STEM education. Emphasis is on developing thoughtful and reflective practitioners.
The primary delivery system is online. Online formats vary by class, dependent on material presented, but will include eCampus, Power Point presentations, video lectures, assignments, group projects, chat rooms, reading assignments and additional course materials.
The Texas A&M Graduate STEM Certificate provides teacher-practitioners specializing in grades 6-12 with an opportunity to expand their skills and methods for engaging students in rich, powerful STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) learning experiences in a cutting-edge online environment. The 12-credit hour online certificate focuses on topics of importance to teachers and districts within a high-impact, two-semester timeline.
The STEM Certificate is comprised of four courses with two courses offered in the summer and two offered the following fall. This program is unique because it offers the flexibility for students to continue their studies beyond the 12-credit hour STEM Certificate and apply to pursue a M.Ed. online where each credit earned from the STEM Certificate can be applied towards your Master of Education (M.Ed.) degree.
REQUIRED CORE COURSES
|Course Number||Course Title||Credit Hours|
|EDCI 602||Cultural Foundations of Education||3|
|EDCI 644||Curriculum Development||3|
|EDCI 673||Analysis of Teaching Behavior||3|
DEPARTMENTAL REQUIRED ELECTIVES
|Course Number||Course Title||Credit Hours|
|EDCI 620+||Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Teaching and Learning||3|
|EDCI 720+||ENGR Design for School Teaching and Learning||3|
|EDCI 721+||How People Learn STEM||3|
|EDCI 723+||Developing Students’ Disciplinary Language and Reading in STEM||3|
*Currently being developed/undergoing approval process
+Required courses for the STEM certificate
For more information on the M. Ed. degree in C&I with emphasis in STEM please visit our website.
Degrees Offered: Master of Education, M.Ed.
Program Delivery: Online
Credit Hours: 36, non-thesis
Online M.Ed. Frequently Asked Questions
Can you guide me through the application process?
Completed Application: A completed Apply Texas application. Apply online at www.applytexas.org. The name on your application must match your name as it appears in your passport. Application Fee: A non-refundable $65 application fee for domestic applicants and $90 application fee for international applicants. The application fee may be paid by check, money order or approved credit card. Applicants who wish to pay by credit card may do so as part of the online application. If you are unable to pay the fee online, you may call the Graduate Admissions Office at 979-845-1060. Official Transcripts and Records: Submit official transcripts from all colleges or universities attended. NOTE: You do not need to submit an official transcript from Texas A&M University. For information on submitting official transcripts to Texas A&M University, please visit their website. * If you are currently a graduate student at Texas A&M University, please contact our office at 979-862-8032 for information on applying to the TLAC department. TLAC Departmental Admissions In addition to the Texas A&M University admission requirements, the Department of Teaching, Learning and Culture requires the following information: The departmental application will be submitted electronically. You will be required to upload a copy of your professional resume, three professional references, and writing samples.
I still have further questions—who can I contact to help me answer those?
Please feel free to contact the Graduate Advising Office in 211 Harrington Tower. Our office hours are Monday-Friday 8:00a.m. to 5:00 p.m. We can be reached at (979) 862-8032. (This is our front desk phone.) You can e-mail us at email@example.com. Our mailing address is 4232 TAMU; College Station, TX 77843-4232. Office fax number: (979) 862-4352. Please make sure to include a cover sheet when faxing.