B.S. in Education: Certification in Middle Grades 4-8 Language Arts / Social Studies
The Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Education with a certification in Middle Grades 4-8 Language Arts/Social Studies program is for students seeking a Texas teacher certification in middle grades with a specialization in language arts/social studies. This is a field-based program, where students spend extensive time in middle schools. Students receive a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Education through a series of field-based programs and classroom work with the completion of 125 credit hours.
Undergraduate students are required to follow and maintain all student responsibilities in order to remain in the program.
- Freshman, change of major and transfer students should follow all Texas A&M University and department admissions policies. Learn more about undergraduate admissions.
- Students must apply and be admitted into the upper level Teacher Education program before beginning the certification program.
Note: Applicants are reviewed by committee and admitted on a competitive basis. Meeting the minimum requirements listed does not guarantee admission.How to apply
Once admitted into the upper level Teacher Education program, students complete a series of field experiences. The Certification Process Flow chart outlines the steps required to complete the program.
The Field Experiences Office is responsible for administering and organizing field placements. Students complete a consecutive series of methods blocks as part of their degree plan, before completing their clinical teaching experience the final semester before graduation.Visit the Field Experiences Office
- While in TLAC, students have access to a variety of academic and social services to ensure they are able to perform at their best. Check out available opportunities.
- Each spring and fall semester, the TLAC Field Experiences Office coordinates the Education Career Fair to connect students with potential employers.
- If you have any questions, contact the Undergraduate Advising Office at (979) 862-4345 or visit the first floor in Harrington Tower.
- Current TAMU students need to log into their HOWDY portal and use the NAVIGATE icon to make an advising appointment, or download the NAVIGATE phone app. The system only allows students to schedule an appointment 14 days in advance.
- Prospective students should email email@example.com or call 979-862-1795.
Learn more about the process of becoming a certified teacher in Texas.
Degree Type: Bachelor of Science, Education (EDUC)
Program Delivery: Traditional
Program Hours: 125
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the typical program costs?
The following website can help you estimate the cost of the program, including current costs of tuition and fees: Click here for the cost of attendance estimator
Please note, you must update the program hours.
How soon can I apply?
Prospective students are encouraged to apply as soon as possible!
I live out of state. Do you accept out-of-state applicants?
Yes, we accept in-state and out-of-state applicants.