Degree Offered: Master of Education (M.Ed.)
Program Emphasis: Curriculum and Instruction with Texas teacher certification
Program Delivery: On-campus and online (51% distance learning)
Credit Hours: 36, non-thesis
The Graduate Certification Program (GCP) at Texas A&M University serves as aggieTEACH Pathway 3.
Pathway 3 is designed for students in their senior year of undergraduate studies, or those who already hold a baccalaureate degree, and are interested in earning a teaching certificate.
The opportunity for a paid internship as a classroom teacher while applying all coursework toward a Master of Education (M.Ed.) degree are unique features of this program.
The Graduate Certification Program offers three (3) pathways for state teacher certification: Internship, Clinical Teaching or Residency. Students choose the pathway that best meets their needs.
Internship: Hired by a district as a full-time Teacher of Record, you will fulfill all teaching responsibilities while receiving the beginning teacher salary, insurance benefits and other employee benefits offered by the hiring district.
Clinical Teaching: A 14-week (70 days), full-time unpaid placement in a cooperating teacher’s classroom during the spring semester, in which the cooperating teacher will provide opportunities for you to plan and deliver lessons to entire classes of students.
Residency: Hired by a partner district (Austin, Bryan, Caldwell or Hearne ISD), you will receive a living wage salary and assist in the classroom during the fall semester and clinical teach in the spring semester. A commitment of four (4) consecutive years with the partner district is required.
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher learning*
Undergraduate students may apply in the fall semester of their final year
- 2.75 minimum GPA on a 4.0 scale
- Minimum content-area credit hours in preferred certification field
- Zoom meeting with the GCP Assistant Director prior to application (email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment)
- Passing score on a TX Pre-Admission Content (TX PACT) exam
- TAMU Graduate studies application and admission
- Three academic and/or professional references
* For non-US college/university graduates:
- Submit foreign transcripts evaluated and translated by a TEA reviewed foreign credential service. The report should specifically state if you received the US equivalent of a bachelor’s degree in your subject area and provide a detailed list of all coursework.
- Demonstrate English language proficiency.
Please note that admission to the Graduate Certification Program does not guarantee internship employment.
Candidates must be formally admitted into the Graduate Certification Program.
- Already have a baccalaureate degree? Deadline to apply is October 1
- December graduate? Deadline to apply is October 1
- May graduate? Deadline to apply is December 1
A minimum of 18 content-related credit hours is required prior to beginning Summer Cohort coursework, unless otherwise noted.
English Language Arts and Reading 4-8
English Language Arts and Reading 7-12
Life Science 7-12
Physical Science 6-12
Science 4-8 (24 hours combined biology, chemistry, geology, physics)
Science 7-12 (24 hours combined biology, chemistry, geology, physics)
Social Studies 4-8 (24 hours combined economics, geography, history, political science)
Social Studies 7-12 (24 hours combined economics, geography, history, political science)
Cost and Financial Aid
Texas A&M’s Student Business Services and Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships will best answer all financial and tuition cost questions. For general information about the cost of our programs or for information about scholarships and financial aid, please see the pages below:
- TAMU Tuition Estimator: http://tuition.tamu.edu/ (does not include online costs which are $225 per credit hour for the College of Education)
- Estimated Cost of Attendance (: http://financialaid.tamu.edu/Graduate/Cost-of-Attendance#0-CollegeStationGraduateStudents
- Scholarships and Financial Aid: http://financialaid.tamu.edu/Graduate