Reading Specialist Certification
The Reading Specialist certification program is a state of Texas teaching certification.
Requirements for the Reading Specialist certification
- Admission to the graduate program of Texas A&M University in the College of Education and Human Development, Department of Teaching, Learning and Culture (TLAC)
- Specific coursework offered by TLAC
- A valid Texas teaching certificate
- The successful completion of a TExES examination, given by the state of Texas
- Two years of teaching experience at an accredited school -- can be completed before, during, or after coursework
- Students must declare their interest in pursuing the MRT and/or Reading Specialist certification(s) when accepting the admission offer for the master’s graduate program. Contact Sarah Oakley (email@example.com) to begin this process.
- Students must also claim a TEA ID# if they do not already have one. The TEA ID# must be claimed at the time of admission into the master’s program.
- All requested information must be provided by the student by the deadlines provided.
- Students who began their graduate studies prior to 2014 can no longer be approved to take the exam(s).
Because of the close correspondence between Master Reading Teacher certification, Reading Specialist Certification, and the master’s degree, interested students are strongly encouraged to consider a program that accomplishes all three.